The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for managing quality performance of assigned suppliers. Responsible for product / part qualifications. Tracks metrics & works on quality improvement plans addressing problem areas. Reviews & approves quality plans. Investigates quality escapes to provide root cause analysis & ensures effective corrective and preventive actions are taken.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage supplier qualifications to ensure that assigned suppliers are capable of producing material, and/or components that will consistently meet GE Engineering drawing and specification requirements.
- Own the product / manufacturing process qualifications at the assigned suppliers and ensure the satisfactory closures within the timelines needed by the business.
- New Supplier Evaluation / on boarding – Rigorously execute the supplier evaluation process, including quality & compliance audits / assessments to ensure that only appropriately qualified suppliers are taken through the process. Work with sourcing/commodity team to meet business objectives of new supplier addition.
- Conduct surveillance audits to assure that suppliers have effective process control, rigorous product acceptance standards, and robust quality systems
- Own SRG (Supplier Responsibility Guidelines) metrics for the assigned suppliers and conduct SRG audits per the region audit plan.
- Manage supplier non-conformance and Supplier Deviation Request (SDR) activities. Owner of process and 1st technical interface with supplier and engineering
- Perform robust Root Cause Analysis to solve quality issues and prevent reoccurrence
- Be the technical focal point in coordinating sourcing, Design Engineering & Materials Engineering functions while interfacing with suppliers.
- Drive consistency and adherence to quality procedures and specification requirements
- Work closely with commercial, engineering and manufacturing teams to eliminate any barriers that may affect the quality and delivery of sourced components
- Provide Sourcing Quality input to Engineering during product design reviews
- Bachelor’s Degree (Technical Degree) – in Mechanical or Metallurgical Engineering / Advanced Technical Degree.
- 0 – 1 Year industry experience in Quality / Manufacturing / Supplier Development functions having hands-on experience in the manufacturing process and complexities of commodities such as raw materials, castings, forgings and machining.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and a passion for quality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in cross-functional team environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Project Management skills
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally at short notice. Travel > 50%
- Experience in Power Generation equipment manufacturing industry.
- Demonstrated proactive approach and issue ownership with process orientation.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Influencing Skills